Legislator retirements


Q: I would like to know about retirement plans for members of Congress. How long do they have to be in office to receive benefits? What are their benefits? Do they receive their benefits based on time in service?

A: You’ll find the rules governing CSRS-covered members of Congress at 5 U.S. Code 8332-8334, 8336, and 8338 through 8340; for FERS-covered Members at 5 U.S. Code 8410-13, 8415, 8421, and 8423.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply