Special retirement supplement


Q: I was planning to retire with FERS this year with 30 years of service at age 59. My husband died, so I have had to rethink my plans. My research has shown that I can draw on my husband’s Social Security at a reduced rate when I turn 60 next year and then switch to my Social Security when I turn 66. Will I still be entitled to the special retirement supplement through my retirement and will the supplement drop when I turn 62?

A: You will still be able to receive the special retirement supplement until you become eligible for your own Social Security benefit at age 62. The key word here is “eligible.” It makes no difference if you apply for your Social Security benefit then or later.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply