FEHB versus Tricare for retiree


Q: I am a retired federal employee and have maintained my FEHB for self and family. I also am a retired National Guard service member who is now eligible for Tricare. Can I freeze my authorization for Retired Health Benefits so I could pick them up again (enroll and pay again) if Tricare is not the answer? Having both looks like a problem, and having FEHB is much more costly than Tricare.

A: Here are the answers from OPM website:

I’m eligible to enroll in TRICARE’s Uniformed Services Family Health Plan. Can I suspend my FEHB coverage to use this program?

Yes, if you are eligible for this Tricare program, you can suspend your FEHB coverage.

After I suspend my FEHB coverage to use TRICARE or CHAMPVA instead, when can I reenroll in the FEHB Program?

You can reenroll in the FEHB Program for any reason during a future open season. If you are involuntarily disenrolled from Tricare or CHAMPVA, you are eligible to immediately re-enroll.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply