Creditable time


Q: After leaving government during an RIF many years ago, I returned to government service in 2001. Who can I contact to find out if all my previous work time is creditable toward retirement time? I have worked in some term positions and have been told that time in a term position does not count toward retirement.

A: If your service computation date is earlier than the date on which you returned to government service, then it means that you have already received credit for some or all of your earlier employment. Whether you did or didn’t get credit, you should ask a specialist in your personnel office to review your employment record to make sure that any credit you are due is included.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply