Early retirement/discontinued service retirement


Q: I am 50 years old and have a service computation date of April 30, 1986. I would like to know when I am eligible for retirement. I served in the Army from 1984 to 1992. I bought my time back from the military and have completed making a deposit for that time. I am also working in a position which has been phased out of my department. They do not have a position to move me into. Is retirement an option for me and if so how soon?

A: Because you are age 50 and have at least 20 years of service (combined civilian and military), you would be able to retire voluntarily on an immediate, unreduced annuity if your agency offered you an opportunity to retire early or you were involuntarily separated during a reduction-in-force.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply