Federal firefighter pension


Q: I was a federal firefighter from 1999 until 2004, when I left federal service to accept a different job. I withdrew my FERS deposit. I am looking to return to the federal fire service as a firefighter shortly and would like to redeposit my FERS (with interest). If I redeposit into FERS, will that time (five years) be counted toward my eligibility to retire at age 51, when I have 20 years of service? I am and I’ve worked in a non-covered [LEO/FF] FERS position since 2008.

A: Yes, it will if you redeposit that money plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply