Q: I am 63 and retired from federal government. I am in an HDHP insurance plan with HealthAmerica. Should I be in HSA or HRA? Does the government contribute to the HSA or HRA?

A: It’s up to your High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) to determine whether you should be in a Health Savings Account (HSA) or a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA). I suggest you go to and read OPM’s pamphlet on the subject. It should help to reduce your confusion.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply