Involuntary separation


Q: I was involuntarily separated from my position as LEO under Civil Service Retirement System. I served for 22 years. I was separated at 47 because of a reduction in force. I have been unable to find another LEO position. I am a few months shy of 50. What are my options?

A: If you could find a non-LEO job in the federal government, you would be able to retire at age 50 and have those 20 years of covered service computed under the enhanced formula and the remainder under the standard formula. However, it would be unfair to your new employer to leave without repaying him for the effort he put in to hire you. Or you could wait until you reach your MRA and apply for a deferred retirement, which would be computed in the same way.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply