Health insurance


Q: Is it possible for retired federal employee husband and wife to receive 100 percent medical coverage? Right now my husband has the family plan and we are getting 80 percent coverage. I was wondering if I could enroll as well and get the other 20 percent either with a the single or family plan.

A: No, you can’t do that. You can either have one family plan or two self only plans. If you want better coverage than you have now, you’ll need to do some research during the next Federal Employees Health Benefits program open season to find which plan gives the best coverage for the price.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply