Converting to 6c


Q: I have 30 years in federal service, (20 FERS and 10 in buyback military time), and my position as a non-6c 1801 is being converted to 6c. In order to get the 1.7 percent, I have to work another 20 years as a 6c. If I do not work the full 20 years, I know I won’t get the 1.7 percent, but will my base salary for calculation of my retirement include LEAP?

A: Yes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply