Service toward retirement


Q: I served four years 1987 to 1991 in the military, but haven’t made a deposit to get credit for my active-duty service. I work for TSA and have been here for more than 8 years. I worked for the U.S. Postal Service for more than four years from June 1994 to December 1998, and I was removed, only withdrawing my TSP. Will I be able to use my postal service time toward my retirement when I get of age. If so, how, because my SCD for leave is showing 1998 and my SCD for retirement is showing 1994.

A: Because you haven’t made a deposit for your active-duty military service, you will only get credit for your employment with the U.S. Postal Service. If you make a deposit for that time, you’ll get credit for it. On the other hand, you will receive credit for your active-duty service in determining your leave accrual rate. If you didn’t reverse the SCD dates when you sent in your question, you’ll have to visit your personnel office and straighten things out.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply