FERS pension


Q. The father of my children worked for the Veteran’s Administration for several years and decided to leave his retirement money in the system (FERS) to collect a pension in the future.  He passed away over a year ago and we do not know whether his money is still in the system.  If it’s still there, how can his children claim the money?

A. Call OPM’s Retirement Information Office at 888-767-6738 and talk to one of the benefits specialists. Be sure to have his full name, date of birth and any other information that will help them to locate his file. They will also let you know what you would need to do to prove your relationship to him and the parentage of your children.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply