Social Security and FERS


Q. I am a federal employee with 31 years of service. Civil Service Offset, with 10 years CSRS and 21 years in FERS. I plan to retire at age 59 1/2. Will there be any penalty? Will I be eligible for Social Security special retirement supplement?

A. Because you have reached your minimum retirement age and have at least 30 years of service, there won’t be any reduction in your annuity. Further, you will receive the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply