Death benefits


Q. My mother received survivor benefits from my father’s federal retirement annuity and she passed away in December. Can I now receive these benefits because I am receiving  Social Security survivors benefits on my father’s account because I am a disabled child?

A. If you weren’t receiving children’s benefits during your father’s lifetime, then it’s unlikely that you would be entitled to any now. To be sure, you can write OPM at or call the Retirement Information Center at 1-888-767-6738.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply