Retired CSRS employee


Q. I was married to my husband for almost 25 years. I worked under CSRS for 42 years. I have been divorced since 1998.  My ex-husband recently passed away.  I believe he was on disability retirement. He was not a government employee. Can I draw anything from his pension.  I am 69 years old.

A. We don’t know anything about nonfederal benefits, so we can’t comment on whether you’d be entitled to anything from his former employer. On the other hand, you may be eligible for a a former spouse Social Security survivor benefit. The only way to find out is to call at 1-800-772-1213 and talk to a benefits representative.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply