Rights of retirement-eligible employee


Q. I am a 57 year old CSRS Agriculture Department employee with almost 32 years’ service.  The program I manage and my position will likely be eliminated within the next three weeks. If I am not offered another  job within commuting distance, what are my options?

A. Because you are already eligible to retire, you have two choices. You can retire either voluntarily or involuntarily. If you retire voluntarily and return to work for the federal government, your salary would be reduced by the amount of your annuity. if you retired involuntarily, and returned to work, your annuity would stop and you’d acquire a new right to retire at a time of your choosing. You can read more about it at www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/handbook/C044.pdf. Scroll down to Section 44A1.1-3 and continue through Section 44A2.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply