Law enforcement officer retirement


Q. I’m currently in a secondary 1811 position and will be transferring to a new position within the same organization that is not secondary, but primary in classification.  I have no previous primary service.  I would like to change to primary to receive the higher retirement multiple.  Can this be done?

A. First go to and read Subpart 46B3.2; then, after talking with your supervisor, visit your personnel office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply