Terminal leave check


Q: I plan to retire from the Postal Service on May 31. I have 600 hours of annual leave and will receive a nice terminal leave check. Is there a way to have the terminal leave check deposited into my TSP account instead of coming directly to me after taxes have been withheld?

A: No, there isn’t. Lump-sum payments for unused annual leave aren’t made until after an employee has retired, and retirees can’t make deposits to the Thrift Savings Plan.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply