Supplemental Social Security


Q: I am 57 with 28 years of civilian service under FERS. I have been paying Social Security. If I retire under VERA, what is the formula used to figure out the supplemental Social Security or special annuity supplements and how would they be received?

A: You can get a rough estimate of what your special retirement supplement would be by suing the following formula:

Your most recent Social Security estimate x your total years of FERS service rounded up to the next higher year ÷ 40.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply