Creditable service


Q: I would like to know if my initial employment for the government from Aug. 18, 1983 through March 16, 1990, while I was covered under the CSRS retirement system, will count as creditable service even though I withdrew my retirement when I left the government in March 1990. I was re-employed by the government in May 1992 and opted for FERS coverage at that time.

A: You will get credit for that time in determining your total years of service. If you redeposit that refund, plus accrued interest, it will also be used when computing the CSRS component of your annuity. If you don’t, the CSRS component will be actuarially reduced based on the amount you owe and your age at retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply