Tax rates


Q: I live in Pennsylvania and I am interested in knowing the state and federal tax rate that will be applied to my federal pension from the U.S. Post Office.

A: To find out how your retirement annuity will be taxed by the federal government, read IRS publication 721, Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits, available at To find out how Pennsylvania will tax those benefits, call or visit your state office of taxation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply