Abolished position


Q: Under CSRS, do you still get your lump sum CSRS contributions back if they completely abolish your position, and are not offered in writing an equivalent position? This would be in addition to your full retirement benefits, minus age penalty. I am 47 1/2, with 31 years of CSRS service, and the only shop planner in my position description. They are talking about wiping out our maintenance department and contracting out. My dad retired about 15 years ago when they abolished his job, and he got his contributions back. Has this changed?

A: Because you’d be eligible for discontinued service retirement — 25 years of service at any age — you wouldn’t be able to receive a refund of your retirement contributions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply