Service credit


Q: I am under FERS. I had a break in service. I left service in 1987. I’m pretty sure I did not draw out any retirement contributions. How can I verify that I didn’t?

A: Begin by looking at your service computation date. If it reflects you earlier period of service, then you have proof that you didn’t get a refund of your retirement contributions. If you haven’t been credited with that time and your official personnel folder doesn’t contain any information about your prior service, you can call the National Personnel Records Center at 314-801-9250.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply