Deferred retirement


Q: I have eight years of work under FERS and will be 62 in a few years. I have left the civil service and understand that age 62 is the minimum age I can receive a deferred annuity. Is there any increase in the annuity if I wait a year or more after age 62 before filing?

A: No. Your annuity will be based on your high-3 and years and full months of service on the day you left government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply