Special Retirement Supplement


Q. I am a FERS law enforcement federal employee with 22 years in and eligible to retire. I am suppose to receive an OPM supplement of approximately $800 a month. I understand that I start receiving the supplement when OPM finally determines (with 6-12 months) the correct amount of my retirement. Do I get back pay on approximately $5,000-$10,000 of the supplement or do I lose the $800 a month until OPM decides to process my retirement?

A. The special retirement supplement, like any shortage caused by receiving an interim tather than a final annuity, will be made whole when the adjudication of your case is complete.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply