CSRS voluntary contributions


Q. I have been a federal employee for 32 years, CSRS Offset, and this is the first I have heard of this program.  Can you please explain the program?

A.The Voluntary Contributions Program is open to CSRS and CSRS Offset employees. It allows them to make contributions to the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund and earn tax-deferred interest. They have the option at any time of asking for a refund of all contributions and interest or, at retirement, using the money to buy additional annuity. For more information go to www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/pamphlets/forms/RI83-10.pdf.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply