Overseas service retirement computation


Q. I have been an employee for 22-plus years in the FERS retirement system. I have been “PCS’d” overseas to five countries during my career for a total of 15 years and six months. I was recently told I accrue years at an accelerated rate when assigned (PCS) overseas. Is that correct? At what rate do I accrue years towards retirement (i.e. 1 year overseas = 1.2 years, etc)? Does the accelerated rate apply to extended overseas TDYs, such as my current situation of serving 179 days in Iraq? Thank you for your assistance. I can’t find this topic addressed on the OPM website.

A. I’m not aware of any provision in law or regulation what would grant extra service credit for serving overseas.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply