Paying back


Q: I am a formal Federal employee and was under the CSRS program, I had 27 years service and cashed out my funds in my CSRS account and I did not retire. I was a re-instatement status. I am now re-employed with the federal government again under the CSRS offset plan. Can I pay back the funds I cashed out?

A: Assuming that you took a refund of your retirement contributions after February 28, 1991, you can redeposit that amount plus accrued interest and get full credit for that time in you annuity computation. Even if you didn’t you’d still get credit for that time in determining your total years of creditable service. If the refund occurred before that date and you didn’t make a redeposit,  your annuity would be actuarially reduced based on the amount you owe and your age at retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply