Buying back time


Q: I need to know how to buy my military time back, how much it cost and where to send the forms.

A: Go to the Ask the Experts site, click on the heading “Read more” and on the right hand column click on “Creditable service: FERS,” then scroll down to “Counting military service toward retirement,” dated October 25, 2010. If, by chance, you are a CSRS employee rather than CSRS, use a Standard Form 2803 instead of the 3108.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply