Credit for temporary service


Q: I worked in a federal job as a temporary employee from October 1979 to January 1987. I paid only Social Security since temporary employees were not allowed to participate in CSRS. I was hired as a Career-Conditional FERS employee in June 2010. I am looking to pay a deposit to get credit for my years of temporary service. Can any of that service give me a CSRS annuity component even though I never participated in CSRS?

A: No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply