Military retirement


Q. I am medically retired from the Army and employed by the Veterans Affairs Department. I was wondering whether I’ll be able to collect a pension from FERS or does my receipt of retired pay disqualify me?

A.  When you reach the age and have the civilian service needed to retire, you can do so and receive a FERS annuity based on that employment. It won’t be affected by nor will it affect your medical retirement benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply