Creditable work-study time

Q. I spent three years working for the Veterans Affairs Department at a work-study position. Does this time qualify as nondeduction service (that is, temporary or intermittent service) performed before Jan. 1, 1989, that would be creditable under 5 U.S.C. 8332 if a deposit for such service is made. Does this count toward my Federal Employees Retirement System retirement eligibility or annuity computation?  If so how do I make a deposit for this time if necessary.
A. To find out if that time is creditable, fill out a copy of Standard Form 3108, Application to make Service Credit Payment, and send it to OPM, Retirement Services and Management Group, PO Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. You can get a copy of the form from your personnel office or download one at OPM will let you know if that time is creditable and, if so, the amount of the deposit you’d need to make.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply