Military buyback


Q.  I  am a federal employee whose career has been interrupted several times with military deployments.  After the last 90 day military deployment, my agency adjusted my service computation date by this amount and and explained that I must make a deposit to the retirement fund (FERS) to receive credit.  Is this correct?

A. Yes.

About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply