Q. If a person takes voluntary separation incentive payments can he work for a private contractor that has a contract with the government as long as he is not the owner of or direct contractor for the company?

A. Yes, you can do that without having to repay the VSIP. You would only have to do that if you were re-employed by the federal government or working under a personal services contract or other direct contract within five years of the date you received that payment.

About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply