Military buyback


Q.  I am a FERS employee who started with the post office in 1989. If I buy back my military time, which started in 1979 and continued through 1988, is this time counted as FERS or am I a FERS employee with a CSRS component.

A  That time would be credited under FERS. For your active-duty military service to be credited under CSRS, you would need to have completed a minimum of five years of actual CSRS service before Jan. 1, 1987.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply