Substituting annual leave for sick leave


Q.  I am a CSRS federal employee.  I have use-or-lose annual leave.  I would like to take annual leave instead of sick leave for an upcoming surgery that will keep me out of work for two weeks.  That way I can also save my sick leave toward my retirement (I am 54 years old, but do not plan on retiring for four more years).  So, can I use my annual leave in place of sick in this situation?

A.  Yes, you can. Just let your supervisor know about the upcoming surgery and your preference to use annual leave instead of sick leave.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply