Temporary service


Q. I started at the Transportation Security Administration in late June of 2002 with a temporary appointment for which time there were no retirement deductions. I was then made permanent in November 2002. Can I buy back the six months of temporary time so that it will be added to my government service for computation of my FERS pension?

A. Nondeduction service performed on or after Jan. 1, 1989, isn’t creditable for either eligibility or computation purposes, nor may you make a deposit to get credit for it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply