Q.  I started planning on retirement hoping to hold out for my 80 percent next year, but my recent illness has changed my plans.  I have used up all my sick and annual leave, which is one of the major reasons for retiring.  I am at the Defense Department. While still at work, I was put in contact with a “mentor” for lack of a better word — I contacted her from home with no replies.  I do not want to mess up my retirement, TSP and everything else.  Any advice?

A.  If your objective is to retire now, go to www.opm.gov, click on Find Form(s) and download a copy of Standard Form 2801. Complete the form and take or send it to your personnel office. They can then process the paperwork and send it to OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply