Social Security benefits


Q.  My husband retired under the CSRS in 2003; he died in 2006, at the age of 58,  leaving me a CSRS annuity.  He had paid in to Social Security his full 40 quarters and would have been entitled to Social Security, had he lived.   I also am a federal employee, under the CSRS and still working. I am 62 years old.  I’m told that I might be eligible to draw some of his Social Security Benefits at this age until I retire from my current employment.  Is this true?

A.  Yes, while you are working, you are entitled to a Social Security survivor benefit based on your late husband’s work record. However, when you retire, that benefit will be affected by the government pension offset. The GPO will reduce it by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.





About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply