Retire under CSRS, return as a contractor


Q.  I will be 55 years old in a couple of months with 35 years of CSRS service.  I would like to retire and return to work as a contractor.  Is it possible to return as a contractor for my current organization or will I need to be separated from my current organization for a period of time?  Also, would my retirement pension be reduced if I return to work as a contractor?

A. You’ll have to check with your agency’s ethics officer to find out if there would be any conflict that would bar you from doing that.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply