Credit for previous work


Q: I worked for IHS for five years under FERS. I left federal employment for four years and rolled by FERS pension into my new employer pension plan. I used my TSP funds to purchase those years of service. I have recently started back to work at IHS in the same position I left. Can I re-purchse those five years of federal service that I had rolled into the last employer pension? I took that pension and rolled it back into the TSP account already. So I no longer have retirement benefits with the previous employer.

A: Yes, you can redeposit the retirement contributions that were refunded to you, plus accrued interest, and get credit for that time in determining your years of service for retirement purposes and in your annuity computation when you retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply