Disabled son


Q: My mentally disabled adult son receives minimal Social Security and SSI. I am a CSRS retiree. Upon my death, will he be entitled to both Social Security and the survivor benefit or will there be an offset?

A: He would get both, but he could only receive the CSRS survivor benefit if he was disabled before age 18, is unmarried, is dependent on you, and is incapable of self support.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply