Army Air Force Exchange Service employment


Q. I made a monumental oversight when I went to work for AAFES in 1992. I was in the belief that I would qualify for a pension. Come to find out I won’t, because I am a regular part-time employee (34 hours per week) even though I frequently worked 40 hours a week. Then, another AAFES employee told me of someone else who was leaving AAFES after a lengthy employment, to take up a civil service job and that his time with AAFES would be counted when qualifying for federal pension. I have not yet been able to verify this. Is this true? Where can I verify this?

A. Under certain, limited circumstances nonappropriated fund employees can get credit for that service if they become regular civil service employees. Because I am only qualified to answer questions about federal civilian benefits, I don’t know if you would be eligible for a pension based on you service with AAFES. You’ll have to talk with someone in your local personnel office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Adam N. Walker on

    I worked at Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange Facility Maintenance Shop under AAFES from 1982 to 1992. I was never told about a pension that I may be entitled to after I resigned with 10 years of service. I ran into a co-worker who I use to work with at Pearl Harbor NEX and he said you only have to work 6 years of service to be entitled to a pension. I called the Human Resources Dept. NEX and they had no records or information of my job history with Pearl Harbor NEX. Can I get some kind of answers that will help and benefit me for my 10 years of service.

    • You’ll need to go to the National Personnel Records Center at, scroll down to Personnel Records, Quick Find: Civilian Personnel Records, and click on “after 1951.” Follow the directions and you’ll be able to get the information you need. If you didn’t receive a refund of your retirement contributions when you left government, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. Three months before that date, you’d need to fill out a Standard Form 3107, available at, and send it to OPM. The address is on the form.

Leave A Reply