Service computation date


Q. I entered active duty Jan.1, 1981, and exited July 15, 1983. I have 10 months of previous active duty. I worked up until Dec. 29, 1986, when I resigned and went to the private sector. I re-entered government service Sept, 29, 1988, and have been in the government since. I have bought back and paid for 40 months of my military service. How can I determine myservice computation date so I may prepare for retirement in July 2012. My HR support seems to be a bit clueless on this.

A. Round up any records you have, go to your personnel office, and compare them to what you find in your official personnel folder. If it needs updating, a staff member can either do that or tell you how to get supporting documents, if needed.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply