Living overseas while on disability retirement


Q. I am 52 years old and on FERS Disability Retirement. If I move to Israel and live there for a few years, would such a move affect my status?  And would my annuity be reduced?  I acknowledge that I must show up to the required medical examinations as stated in my retirement plan.  Would Israeli doctors suffice or must I be at a specific medical facility in the United States?

A. Moving to Israel would not affect the amount of your annuity nor would you be required to go to a medical facility in the U.S. All you need to provide OPM is proof of your continuing disability. That can be supplied by any doctor who is qualified to evaluate your condition, plus the official records of recent tests or examinations.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply