Military buyback


Q. I am a GS employee and sent in the forms with a quote on my military buyback. The total is $4,900 and it appears monthly on my LES. Do I need to pay this back while I am a federal employee or can I leave for the private sector and then send in a check?

A. You must complete the deposit while you are a federal employee or, if you retire, before the final adjudication of your retirement application by OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply