Buying back reserve time


Q: I served in the Army for 6 1/2 years and later joined the Air Force Reserve for an additional three years. I am a federal employee and understand I can buy back the Army years, but what about the Air Force Reserve time?

A: Reserve time isn’t creditable, and you can’t make a deposit to make it so.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply