Retired couple


Q: My spouse and I are retired federal employees with an annuity.
I retired in 2001 with 12 years of service. We have had continual coverage with FEHB for the past 40 years. We have the Self & Family plan with my spouse as the member and I am the dependent. I would like to know if I am eligible for coverage under my own self only policy? If eligible, when can I request the change, any time or just during open season?

A: You can only change to a self only policy if your spouse changes his/her coverage to self only at the same time. If that’s what you both want, you can do that during any open season.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply