Loss of dual status


Q.  I am a dual-status federal technician in the Army National Guard. I am looking at an involuntary separation because of losing my dual status (nonmedical related) later next year. I am 48 years old with 12 years of federal service. Would I qualify for any type of involuntary separation payment?

A.  Since you are not being separated because of a medical disability that disqualifies you from membership in the National Guard, you would be subject to the usual age and service rules governing retirement. Based on your age and service, you would be eligible for a deferred retirement when you reach age 62. You might also be entitled to unemployment compensation. Your eligibility for such benefits and their amount is determined by the law of the state in which you have your last official station. Check with the nearest public employment and claims office or the state employment security agency to register for unemployment compensation. You should also check with you own personnel office to see if there are any other benefits that are due you as a member of the National Guard.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply