Military reserve technician fire chief


Q. I was in the active duty Air Force for nine years, three months.  I then worked as a GS-06 firefighter for seven months. I left federal civil service to take a job with a state government fire department. I am now 43 years old and will be taking a job as a GS-12 Military Reserve Technician as a fire chief and will be in FERS. I will buy back my years on active duty and want to retire at no older than 57.  Will I qualify for the 1.7 percent retirement? If made to retire from military service, will I get the supplement until age 62?  Will I receive immediate annuity at age 57?

A. You would only qualify for the enhanced retirement calculation if you had 20 years of covered service as a FERS firefighter. While making a deposit for your active-duty military service would count toward your total years of civilian service and in determining your leave accrual rate, it wouldn’t count toward those 20 years.

If you lost your dual status coverage because of a disability that disqualified you from continued service in the National Guard, you would be able to take disability retirement. Disability retirees aren’t eligible to receive the special retirement supplement.

About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply